December 6, 2009

Restless Life Syndrome...

You've heard of restless leg syndrome? Well I have restless life syndrome. My mind plays mental ping pong: What do I want to do with my life? Do I want to teach forever? Should I go back to school? Should I get into debt? Should I move? Should I uproot my life? Should I go back home? Should I go overseas? Should I go into full-time ministry? These are the questions that bounce between my ears, thus causing restless life syndrome. At a time in life when most people are settling into their careers and building upon the foundation their schooling and experience have laid, I am experiencing a quarter-life identity crisis and feel less sure and more unclear than I've ever felt. Especially me, the over-planning, under-risking one who knew what she wanted to do with her life by the time she was seven. And now, at twenty-five, I have restless life syndrome. Is there a pill for that?

What I know to be true, however, is that restless is just a nice word for discontent. I've come a long way in the area of contentment when it comes to singleness, but haven't yet come to grips with my discontent regarding, well, what I should do with my life.

I listened to a CJ Mahaney sermon last week that reminded me of some important truths. I don't need to know the next step. I don't need to know what God's doing. He's always at work. When have things ever NOT worked out for His glory and my good? It should simply be enough that God has saved my sinful soul from hell. I shouldn't have to ask why, or what now? Clarity is not something God promises. He does promise to provide for me and to work things together for good for those who love Him. But He hasn't promised clarity. Mother Theresa said, "I have never had clarity, but I have always had trust." I would like that to be said of me.

My job is simply to trust and obey. Glorify God where I am, follow His leading, and trust that when it's time to take that next step, God will direct my steps. So now, my struggle is against restlessness (aka, discontentment). This is a ridiculously difficult and ambiguous struggle, but struggle I will until I learn to just trust.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah and I agree that we struggle with discontentment at times, and many of our life's decisions are now etched in stone (Marriage and children are not decisions that either of us would change...though definitely our debt)... I say that the fact that you have the freedom to decide to change direction if you want to is in itself a blessing and a luxury that you won't always have. Pray, consider, seek wise counsel then decide. A decision to change is not necessarily discontentment... God's plan won't be foiled if you go another direction, and if it turns out to be wrong, He'll bring you back. And if you do not change course, the decision YOU MADE to stay will be a comfort when the going gets rough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I could have written this. And I'm thankful we can come to the right conclusion because of Jesus.
    Press on friend!

    ReplyDelete