November 15, 2009

Holding Out For a Hero...

Alright single ladies. I'm going to be candid here. Every time I have made a big change in my life, I have thought, "maybe here and maybe now I will meet my future husband." When I started Moody I thought certainly he would be found somewhere within those walls. When I moved to Florida, I thought absolutely he would be waiting for me here. And at each junction, the Lord has said, "Nope. Not yet. My timing. Wait on My timing." I don't usually think, "maybe when I round this corner, I'll bump into him," or "maybe when I get on this plane, he'll sit next to me." But sometimes I do. And if you are a single girl and are honest with yourself, you'd probably nod your head too. I don't know why we do that-- the irrepressible spirit of hope within us? Our blind expectations for the future? Our trust in God? Beats me. But I definitely thought about this tonight... twice.

First, I was sitting in church and noticed someone I'd never seen before. He was really good- looking. Very, very good- looking. In fact, he reminded me of a young Marlon Brando (see picture and swoon). I didn't meet him, don't know his name, and probably will never meet him. I didn't look at him and think, "that's my future husband," because that would be silly. Also, I am pretty sure that someone who looks like Marlon Brando wouldn't be looking at me. Regardless, it reminded me, quite happily, that at any moment, God (if He in His infinite wisdom would choose to do so) could drop someone into my life. He could indeed meet me around a corner. He may very well sit next to me on a plane. He could possibly shake my hand on a Sunday. And this thought bouyed my hope and trust.

Then I was wandering around Target looking for mousse and other such necessities while chatting with Mom on the phone. Conversation had gone its normal route when suddenly she told me that a friend of hers had instructed her not to buy the Thanksgiving turkey until I get there, because she believed that that's where I was going to meet my husband... at the grocery store. We laughed, because this friend of hers is a funny, free- spirited type and she means well. And I really laughed, given the thoughts I'd already been thinking about God and His infinite wisdom. I was quite amused. I doubt I'll meet my husband while finding the perfect frozen bird at Jewel. But maybe I will. Regardless, I'm not going to hold my breath, but I will keep "holding out for a hero" with faith that God's timing is perfect, and whether we meet at a grocery store, on a plane, at church, or wherever, it will be as it should be, because it is designed by God.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I really like your profile pic. It's very "Audrey Hepburn". You look gorgeous, so stop thinking that someone wouldn't be interested in you because of your looks because that's just not true. Besides that, you don't want someone who's merely interested in you for the way you look anyway. I know you know that, you seem to have your head on straight when it comes to this subject, much more than I ever did when I was single, and so I'm not trying to lecture you as much as I'm trying to encourage you. God loves you and He will send the right guy your way and it will be so evident that this is God's plan that you won't be able to do anything but give into it, I'm pretty sure about that. In the mean time keep doing what you're doing because you're such a great example to the young girls in the youth group and they need that. Who knows, maybe God will bring in some handsome stranger to help out and WHAM-O! Sparks will fly! Whoops, there I go now! Sorry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! You're always very encouraging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife is wise... she married me, right?
    Ba-dum-bum!

    Alright, so she had one major lapse in judgment... she is usually wise.

    ReplyDelete