November 6, 2009

No Means No...

Funny I should be writing this post today, after I passed the teachers' lounge, filled with a figurative cornucopia of culinary delights-- not the least of which was a cheesecake with cherries and a crumbly danish top. But write this post I will...

About 9 months ago I decided to get healthy, and that meant a lifestyle change. Let me put it this way: I could no longer consume whatever struck my fancy, or whatever Mr. Sweet Tooth (my true nemesis, evil on every level) would command. It took a lot of planning, and it wasn't too difficult to stick to my plan for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. What I found to be the real struggle was passing the teachers' lounge, or going out to eat with friends. Pastries would taunt me, with their wicked, wicked cream cheese filling just begging to be eaten. The cookie aisle would call to me as I perused the produce section... it was a siren song, truly.

But, firm in my resolve, I would approach the dreaded lounge, look the offending cake in the eye and say, "no." I walked away. That first "no" was probably one of the most difficult words I ever said to myself. I thought about the cake throughout the day... imagined how it would taste, how delicious it would be... and I also imagined the guilt I'd feel if I blew my diet. The horrible over-filled-and-stuffed-to-the-gills feeling I'd be left with after the last bit of vanilla icing left my tongue and the sugar high wore off.

So the next time I was met with a culinary contender that was not part of my plan, I said, "no." And I walked away. And just like that, little by little, "no" became easier to say. The more I said it, the easier it became. My evil nemesis was losing power! I began to see the effects of saying "no." I was shrinking before the very eyes of those seductive danishes!

I was struck by how closely this mirrored the battle against sin. Titus 2:11-12 reads, "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age..." In our sinfulness, we have no power to say "no" to sin, but by the grace of God and because of his power, we can.

Let's imagine you are trying to overcome a particular sin. The first time it looks you in the eye, you may think about how much you want to commit that sin, how much you'll enjoy it. But then hopefully you'll also think about the price that was paid for that sin, and the consequences that will ensue. And when you say "no," that first time, it may be the hardest word you'll ever say to yourself. And you'll walk away. You may think about that sin throughout the day, too... but if you say "no" and mean "no" and walk away, it's a victory. And by the grace of God, every time you continue to say "no" to that sin, it will get easier-- you will begin to see the effects of saying "no:" closer communion with God, better fellowship with believers, a life of holiness, and freedom from enslaving sins.

Unfortunately, when we're enslaved by sin, it seems awfully fulfilling at the time... just like that cherry cheesecake with the crumbly danish I snuck from the teachers' lounge. Oh did it look delicious. Oh did I anticipate its sweet, succulence. Oh did I regret it. When we say "no" to sin, we see clearly enough to see it for what it really is-- a complete affront to God. When we say "no" to sin, we see clearly enough to see the consequences that come from it. What appeared to be fulfilling is nothing short of appalling.

Try it today. Say "no" to that enslaving sin-- whether it's laziness, pride, lust, anger... Say "no" today. It will be hard. I wish there was a "sin-be-gone" spray like I wish there was a "glutton-be-gone" spray. But what it boils down to is the grace of God and self-discipline. Say "no," walk away, and enjoy true freedom.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post! So timely and true. And not only that, but as we say no, and study Grace...and at once find ourselves stumbling over that very sin once again, we realize Rom. 8 that there is NO condemnation. And Rom. 2:4 that it's God's GRACE that leads us to repentance...it gives sin so much less power and God's grace the victory! And we LONG to please God even more...YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right! I drew that parallel too and I'm glad you mentioned it! :)

    ReplyDelete