October 3, 2010

My Perfect Life...

Sometimes, I read blogs.  Shocker, I know.  And sometimes, when I read blogs, I see the pretty pictures and I read the pretty words, and I somehow get this impression that the blogger's life is perfect.    This happened the other day.  I was reading a delightful blog, and this uninvited, bitter thought invaded my otherwise cheerful mind:

Their life is perfect.  They have everything they've ever wanted, they have someone to share their life with, and their dreams are coming true. 

And for a moment my lip curled in disgust.  Until just a moment later, when I felt extreme disgust at my own bitter thoughts.  After repenting, my very next thought was this:

Amanda, your life is perfect, not because you have everything you've ever wanted, someone to share your life with, or because your dreams are coming true, but because you are exactly where God wants you right now, doing exactly what he wants you to do.  And your life is exactly as it should be.

It was a comfort.  I mean, I know it's not perfect.  I sin (obviously, as illustrated above), and the people around me sin, which results in an imperfect life.  But God's plan and God's will is perfect, and because of that, my life is "perfect."

Besides... I know that behind the pretty pictures and the pretty words are other sinful people like me, who struggle through while finding some kind of solace in blogging, just like me.  And as believers, their lives are "perfect," just like mine.  Funny, I never thought I'd think that singleness, a challenging job, and daily hurdles would equal a perfect life... but it's amazing what perspective can accomplish. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment