December 24, 2010

Christmas Thoughts...

'Twas the day before Christmas, and all through the house rang the sounds of old Christmas movies as the inhabitants moved about.

One such inhabitant sat typing away at her computer as the snow fell softly out the window.

It was idyllic. 

This is one of my most favorite days of the year, the day before Christmas.  It's got all the anticipation of the entire year resting on it, and there is a soft, magical feel that is almost tangible.  And every year I try not to build it up too much in my mind, so as not to be disappointed.  But this year, I am not disappointed, for there is snow-- lots of fat falling flakes.

I am disappointed about one thing, however: BF isn't here with me.

Despite that sad fact, however, I am enjoying Christmastime.  Is there any way to put the joy, magic, and mystery of Christmas into words?  I think not.  Call me childish, but I think I'll always feel this way about Christmas.

And yet I had a startling discovery this morning.  I had allowed myself to forget the one important thing about Christmas.  Buried under the "joy, magic, and mystery," the gifting, the parties, the decorations, was the one thing we must never forget, and I had so easily forgotten: the greatest gift of all-- Jesus Christ, our Savior.

As I awoke on this day before Christmas, these words came to mind: "Nail, spear shall pierce Him through, The Cross be borne for me, for you; Hail! Hail the Word Made Flesh, The Babe, the Son of Mary!"  And isn't that what Christmas is truly about?  Snow or no snow, magical mysterious feelings or no magical mysterious feelings, gifts or no gifts.  The Word made flesh to dwell among us and sacrifice himself for our salvation.  That is not only what Christmas is about, but what life itself is about.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

Let me leave you with some Christmas in Chicago snapshots:




No comments:

Post a Comment