December 27, 2010

Resolved, Part 1...

I heard someone randomly say this week that New Year's Day is like the first day of school-- a chance to start fresh.  I have always loved "fresh starts."  Sometimes I even see Monday as a fresh start.  I think, okay, here's my chance to begin again, to meet my goals, to do better than before.  And that's how I feel about New Year's Day.  Most of the time whatever half-brained resolutions I've made never even make it past MLK day.  But once in a while, a resolution or two will stick.

Some balk at the idea of resolutions.  After all, if the resolutions are things we should be doing, why are we not resolved to do them anyway, without the formal title of "resolution"?  I agree, but everyone needs a kick in the pants now and then.  And for me, New Year's Day is that kick in the pants.

This year, I'm actually doing something for New Year's Weekend.  More on that later.  And this year, I'm actually thinking about resolutions early.  I haven't thought them out in detail yet, but so far, here's what I've got:

Resolved:
1.  To memorize more Scripture and apply Deuteronomy 6.
2.  To exercise three times a week, without fail.
3.  To lose 15-20 lbs.
4.  To be entirely transparent.
5.  To remember to trust God, no matter the situation.

I will have more and I will have details, but it's a start.  I encourage you to think about yours early this year, and truly resolve to stick to them.

1 comment:

  1. Instead of a list of resolutions, I'm choosing one word for 2011.

    http://myoneword.org/choose/

    ReplyDelete