February 25, 2010

Like a Gazelle Among Hyenas...

I was just walking normally, I promise I was.  I mean, that's how I walk-- I zoom past everyone else, bobbing and weaving through the crowd.  My shoes clack-clacked on the ground and I felt the wind on my face.  My hair flowed freeling behind me.  Like a gazelle among the hyenas, I glided through the hallway towards my destination.

"Go, Miss Hardt, Go!"  a particularly energetic student at the end of the hall squealed with laughter.  I was just walking normally-- I promise I was!  Apparently my normal walking speed is... just a little faster than most.  While I laughed with the student and reminded him that I'm a city girl, I remembered another incident that made me realize that my gait may be abnormal:

It was July.  In Florida.  It was hot and humid, and I was on my very first and one and only date; this was a date about which I wasn't even enthused.  Imagine my uneasiness.  Imagine the awkwardness.  It didn't help that I was nervous, I'm sure, but I was walking beside (let's call him Carlos) Carlos with a quick step.  I didn't realize it, of course, because I always walk that fast.  Suddenly, a hand descended upon my shoulder, slowing me and taking me by surprise.  Is he getting fresh?!  The outdated, only semi-serious thought barely flashed through my mind as I looked up at him in surprise.
"You walk really fast," he said.  I slowed, I laughed nervously.  Awkward. 

I'd like to say I learned my lesson, but how many times have I been walking through the mall with friends as they pant desperately, "Can you slow down?!"  Apparently I can't.  Apparently I walk through life at a breakneck speed, intent upon my destination and unwilling to waste any time getting there.  And I suppose that's how I live life, too.  My eye becomes fixed on the goal, and I waste no time reaching it.  That's not to say I can't stop and smell the roses, but for the most part, I glide.  College, Europe trip, job.  There was a time in my not-so-distant past when my next goal was marriage.  I didn't know how I'd reach that goal, but everything in me was focused in that direction.  That's no longer my goal.  I've already written about my new and improved goal. 

As I thought about my walking habits as a symbol of my life and my new goal, it brought to mind two verses in particular:

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race that is marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith..." 

So I walk fast.  Good.  It reminds me of the way I should be pursuing the Lord.  Walk with me?
P.S.: notice how legit this early 90s illustration is.

3 comments:

  1. Loves it. Yes you do walk fast, but it's not a horrible thing. Hah. Love the illustration ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny as usual Ms. Hardt, it is your métier, your "thang". And I do so enjoy your blogs. I wonder though did the Lord say gallop with me, come have a spritely sprint and kick the butt of Flo Joe as she zooms by at lightening speed, in purple, studded nails and neon cat suit apparel? Have you ever been in a car when your friend has said, "Oh did you see that miniature horse", "gosh, did you see that falling star", "that lady was wearing only a bra and roller blades" (an LA reference I'm afraid) and you realized you were just going to darn fast to catch anything but some G-force and splattered window bugs? Sometimes a leisurely stroll, a sniff of the roses, tulips and occasional inhalation of the Late Spider Orchid (of which there are only 137 total plants in the United Kingdom)) is a necessity to enjoying life and Gods gifts of surrounding beauty. Sorry; a tad cliché yes; but you would agree, therein lies some truth?

    Saying that, and contradicting myself as usual, I do understand the need to hussle and flow through the slow meandering unwashed masses. The Mall is a perfect example of stop and go traffic that tests ones patience and one's ability to hold ones cursing tongue. I for one am a goal orientated shopper, and have never quite grasped the passion for gaggling, estrogen infused window shopping. I say tally forth to Nordstrom to buy those Chinese Laundry, black suede boots and get the hell out of dodge!

    Yes, walk fast, sprint even, and get to where you need to be with fervor and vigor. But remember to slow down once in a blue moon, you might miss a miniature horse crazing in a Scottish field, something God really wanted you to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true-- I thought of that as I wrote. As I strive on through this life, there is so much value in savoring the little things too: the petals, the sunset, the breeze that bring glory to their Creator. :)

    ReplyDelete