March 27, 2010

Why I Will Not Follow My Heart...

Hello Blogosphere, a.k.a. any of the 20 people who may read this :).  I've been out of town, but nevertheless the wheels in my head have been turning and the contemplative cockles of my heart have not been idle.  I've experienced a good long run of contentment and strength, something that has encouraged me more than I ever thought possible.  That long run has come to a standstill.  Recently I've been struggling with the topic of worth; specifically, my worth.

My name means "worthy of love," but recently, I haven't been so sure.  During college, when my faith grew and I learned more about the God I serve and my relationship with Him, I realized the following nuggets of truth: I have been created in the image of God, and because of that I have worth.  I am not worthy of God's love, because I have rebelled against His Word.  Even so, God loves me, His creation.  Because He loves me, I have worth.  Christ died to save me from my rebellious nature, and because I believe and follow that truth, I receive the full benefits of His love, including eternal life in heaven one day. 

Unfortunately, my heart of hearts believes that I am worthy of love, and because I do not have the love of a man, I must not have worth.  My head knows this is not true.  I know those nuggets of truth you just read-- I know my family loves me, I know God loves me, and I know that my worth must be found in Christ alone.  My heart wrestles with this, and I would venture to say that many other single women struggle with this very issue.  We know the truth about our worth, but choosing to believe it is an entirely enormous feat.  When we read silly books and watch silly movies and TV shows and even walk in the silly mall, we see "evidence" that we are worthless.  Our hearts tell us that if we had worth, a man would find us valuable-- so valuable that he would want us above all others and treasure us forever.  Our hearts tell us that until a man loves us, we are just formless rock, so unlike the diamond who is loved.  Our hearts tell us that if we had worth, men would call us to talk to us, desire to spend time with us, and choose us over other things they value.

The problem is this: the Bible makes it clear that the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked.  So it doesn't matter what my heart tells me-- if what my heart tells me goes against the truth nuggets I've learned from the Word, it's not true.  The Bible also tells me that I should be thinking about whatever is true, not whatever my heart tells me.  So, contrary to pop culture, I will not "follow my heart."  Because my heart tells me that I am worthless simply because I'm not loved by a man.  The truth is, I'm not worthless.  I'm not worthy of God's love, but He gives it to me.  And because He chooses to love me, I have worth, worth greater than that which can be gained by the love of a man.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Amanda! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and what the Lord is revealing to you...your statement: "Our hearts tell us that until a man loves us, we are just formless rock, so unlike the diamond who is loved. Our hearts tell us that if we had worth, men would call us to talk to us, desire to spend time with us, and choose us over other things they value."-- really hit home for me. I'm realizing that we're not always safe from those lies and feelings of self-induced loneliness...they creep in waaaay too easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are never alone. Jesus said "I will be with you till the end of time." Spend ten minutes in a quiet place, read a line from the Gospel. Wait for Him in that place in your heart, He is there. Ask the question. Lord what do you want me to do today? Some days its nothing. Find God's purpose for you a little at a time every day. May the Peace of Christ be with you. Amen

    ReplyDelete