June 28, 2010

Exploration, Energy, Encouragement...

Kindred spirits: you may or may not be familiar with the term.  You've probably heard it a few times, but you're only familiar with the term if you've experienced it.  You know, people who have entered your life for either a season or the long haul with whom you share a connection that you can't quite explain.  Kindred spirits span the gaps of age, race, gender, and status, and are certain to encourage the heart.  I've had the good fortune to have had several kindred spirits, and today, I think I discovered another.

I spent the morning/early afternoon with a former colleague and yes, kindred spirit.  I was refreshed and energized after scones, tea, conversation, and St. Petersburg exploration.  While our lives have been and continue to be different and there are years between us, I was blessed to by our common ground today.  The Lord used her to both encourage and inspire me.

And in other news, I've become a St. Pete fan.  A legit St. Pete fan.  This old city has more charm and character in its little finger than the rest of the greater Pinellas area has in its whole body.  We drove down cobblestone streets and oohed and ahhed over the glorious old bungalows, we lingered over beautiful art in a couple galleries.  We explored a huge bookstore, complete with that wonderful old-book smell and a friendly cat.  We stopped to take pictures of architecture, and popped into a tiny cupcakery next to a little European chocolate shop.  And there was still so much more to explore!  Well, I'm a convert.  I'd live in one of those little old houses in a heartbeat.  In these photos, I hope you'll see even a fraction of the beauty I saw, and maybe you'll become a St. Pete fan too.

Regardless of your opinion of St. Pete, I hope you'll do some exploring of your own, and hopefully with a kindred spirit.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I used to live in Kenwood and took pictures of all the cats that roamed it. I have some posted on Facebook I think :). It looks like you visited Haslems and met their cat! We used to live in a gorgeous little bungalow and I worked at The Craftsman House (Which is in a bungalow and has books, pottery, and a cafe ^.^). The streets are gorgeous bricks and there are so many small businesses around their that it's very quaint and lovely!
    Aside, I think i discovered a kindred spirit of mine today. She's agnostic and hates religion but really longs for a faith. I've known her for a year but all of the sudden I think we can both benefit from our relationship together. Please, keep her faith in your prayers :). See you Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You worked there?! I visited there today! :)
    I will for sure pray for that! Be a light to her! :)

    ReplyDelete