June 21, 2010

I Just Know What I *Don't* Want...

Is it so wrong that I just don't want to put as much effort into the online dating thing as others do?  I am not a lazy person, I guess I just don't feel the same time crunch or whatever that many of the singles on the sites seem to feel (Single Friend excluded, of course).

Take New Zealand, for example.  Despite my discomfort in the idea of talking on the phone with a complete stranger, he would rather do that than email.  Most people tell me to go for it, what do I have to lose?  Just do it, his accent is cute!  Maybe they're right, but I can't shake the feeling that this is not for me.  The forced, strained, awkward phone calls that could occur-- no thanks.  The vague emails that are uncomfortably mysterious-- hmmm.  Nope.

Is it too much to ask that I will date a real man, face to face?  That we will have real conversation and real chemistry and not have to play the email/phone games?  How will a man ever break down the walls around my heart without looking into my eyes?

I don't think it's too much to ask.  I think if anything, this experiment has solidified my belief that while it may work for some, this whole online singles thing is not for me.  So as funny as this experiment has been, I don't think it will last too much longer.  Too much longer would mean I'm playing games, and that's not what I'm about.

Maybe I'm being stubborn, but that's me.  Say goodbye to New Zealand and the others, because I'll be signing off unreality and entering back into reality-- where I'm sure I'll have just as much to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment