March 23, 2011

The Anti-Hipster...

My generation is a generation of hipsters.  For those of you over the age of forty, under the age of five, living under a rock or maybe in Oklahoma: a hipster is, as defined by the urban dictionary"a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter."

I have come to the {happy} realization that, despite the pressures of today's culture and my age bracket, I am not dating a hipster.  While I myself may or may not possess some hipster tastes, BF does not.  Am I alone here?  In a sea of hipster men {weird amalgamations of nerd and metrosexual}, does your man stand out as anti-hipster, and dare I say, more stereotypically manly?  Hipster men, don't get me wrong: you're OK in my book.  I just don't want to date you {or anyone besides BF for that matter, but you know what I mean}.

You know your man is anti-hipster if:

  • He sports neither man-bangs nor some other such Florence Henderson-type 'do.
  • His pants would never be mistaken for jeggings.
  • He believes cardigans are for Mr. Rogers (though I kind of dig cardis.  See what I mean?).
  • Vintage paraphernalia, in his opinion, is dead people's stuff.
  • The artsy-fartsy type annoys the crap out of him.
  • He doesn't know what an "etsy" or an "urban outfitters" is.
  • His glasses are functional, nothing more.
  • His shoes have laces.
  • You immediately know he's male; he's not even a little androgynous.
  • He likes what he likes, even if it's mainstream.
  • He doesn't need his iPod surgically removed from his ears.
  • He doesn't have/want/read a blog.
  • He has not had a philosophical phrase/symbol tattooed anywhere on his person.
  • He doesn't even wear a scarf if it's cold.
  • He thinks bicycles are toys.
  • The only time he uses the word "progressive" is in relation to sanctification.
  • His only hat is a beat up baseball cap.
  • He weighs more than 100 pounds.
{I must note, however, that BF has had an ironic mustache, wears witty t-shirts, and displays public nerdiness (though his is genuine)}

These hipsters are the more educated and less apathetic hippies of my parents' generation, and while they have their charms, I am glad I'm not dating one.  Mostly because of the whole androgynous haircut and jeggings thing.  So don't hate-- celebrate-- if you too are one of the few and proud to not be dating a hipster.  Which maybe is a hipster mindset in and of itself...? 


{image found here}

Stay tuned for my opinion of this generation's d-bag style.

2 comments:

  1. ahahaha. I love your list--my HB definitely is anti-hipster to his core and I think I've heard him comment on everything on your list. Love the bingo board too; very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there's nothing wrong with a little bit of a hipster guy... :-) I like my man and his chacos!

    ReplyDelete