May 24, 2010

"Most Likely to be Realistically Idealistic..."

Today was yearbook day.  With eager little fingers, my students thumbed through the pages, hoping to find that magically, their yearbook photo had morphed into something fit for Hollywood, and they'd be forever remembered as the fantastic catch they know they are inside.  Also, they hoped to be in a photo montage, maybe just a few times more than their friends.

Do you remember those days?  Do you remember the wonder and anticipation of every turned page?  And more importantly, do you remember the adrenaline that pumped through your veins when, after a massive yearbook-signing-exchange, you get your book back and wonder if someone will express a year's worth of pent-up love for you?  Maybe that boy/girl you like will actually sign your yearbook, not simply with their name, but with "stay cool," or "have a great summer," or even "never change!"

Sometimes I feel like my life is still a little like that.  Sometimes I still feel the adrenaline of hoping that someone, some day, will express feelings for me.  I still feel wonder and anticipation of the unknown, never knowing when my life will change forever, and not in that my-picture-is-on-THREE-WHOLE-pages kind of change.  Though I find myself ever-jaded and slipping into unfortunate cynicism, I still possess that giddy hopefulness about life that my students possess about the yearbook.

I hope that's a good thing and not a set up for disappointment, like how I felt every single year when I turned to my yearbook photo and realized I still looked like me. :)

1 comment:

  1. hey, crazy woman! i stumbled across your blog via ash-anderson. also i saw nicole at a recent wedding so i thought of you and kristin! when are you coming back to chicago?! miss ya, old friend!!!

    ReplyDelete