May 5, 2010

Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers... Blogs...

I have a new pet peeve.  It may offend some of you, but I just have to get this out there.  When scanning blogs, I get a little irritated at all the baby blogs.  Sure, they're cute.  I am absolutely certain that one day, should the Lord bless me with a child, I will be equally as over the moon as these parents obviously are, but... it's all the same!  I scrolled through about ten of these blogs just now, and each of them touted some new and glorious event in their baby's life, like "Willoughby {they almost always have some weird, unique name} is 3 days and four hours old!" or "Seven just coughed up her first solid piece of mucus!" or "Pooch is a genius!  He just ate a beetle because of its nutritional properties!"

Please.  A photo diary might be cool, or even a unique Look Who's Talking perspective blog, but relating the daily infant minutae is a little much.  Does anyone besides Mommy, Daddy, Grandparents, and maybe Pediatrician really care if Sandollar's bowel movements have been irregular?  Doubt it.

So baby blogs kind of annoy me.  But I love babies.  In fact, maybe a tiny reason why baby blogs are annoying me so much recently is because as of late, I have been feeling out of the baby-loop.  Don't get me wrong-- I can't hear my biological clock ticking (well, not too loudly anyway), but I feel like I have been bombarded with baby imagery and information and news, and it makes me feel a little left out (not an entirely new feeling for me).
 
My married friends aren't quite at the baby stage yet, but the fact is they could be; when they are, I'll be two steps "behind," and life will be forever changed for them and for us.  And then they get to have a baby, this little piece of themselves to love and have love them in return-- plus they're really cute.

I suppose the problem isn't really that I want a baby.  Not now anyway; I'm YEARS from that (let's just focus on one thing at a time.  I think I'll need to find a guy first; that's usually how that works).  I think the real problem is what the real problem always is: discontentment, distrust.  If I were truly content here and now where God has placed me, babies would be enjoyed, but not coveted.  If I really trusted God's plan for me, I would think of babies with hope and anticipation, not anxiety and annoyance.  Guess I'll keep working on that old problem. 

But can I just say, even if I flipped a switch and suddenly found myself completely content and trusting.... I'd still be annoyed at baby blogs.

1 comment: