July 30, 2010

It's Starting to Come into Focus...

I'm starting to get overwhelmed.  It's easy to understand-- in a matter of a couple weeks, school will be starting again.  That means new students, new procedures, new curriculum, new problems... the pretzel M & Ms in my bowl are dwindling even now as I think about it.

What if the students are terrible?  *munch munch munch*
Will I have enough time to get everything ready?  *munch munch munch*
Am I prepared to teach this material, and teach it well? *munch munch munch munch munch*

I'm excited for a fresh new year, new classes, new students, new procedures, new curriculum-- it's a chance to start over.  But the anxiety creeps in unwanted anyway.  And then, so aptly, as I read the Word this morning, this is what God gave me:

"We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ.  To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me." -- Colossians 1:28-29

How simple.

1.  First of all, it reminds me of my true purpose as a teacher.  Yes, I need to teach my students English.  But more importantly, I am there to 'proclaim him,' and 'admonish and teach' my students with wisdom.  That narrows it down a bit and helps me focus on what truly matters, more than a worksheet or a quiz.

2.  Secondly, it reminds me WHY I do that: to 'present everyone perfect in Christ.'  Not because of the good things they do, but because they are believers, and belong to Christ.  That's why I do it-- to make disciples of Christ.  Again, the focus is narrow and clear.

3.  Third, it encourages me to work hard and not give up or get lazy-- to 'struggle' and 'labor.'  It's also a reminder that it is not going to be easy, but that's OK because...

4.  Finally, it reminds me where my strength comes from: the Lord.  I will be struggling with 'his energy,' and not just energy from the Lord, but energy that is 'powerfully' working in me.  That's beyond encouraging.  As I start this year and follow through with this year, I will labor hard with the energy of Christ working powerfully within me.  Thank God, because he knows I simply don't have what it takes on my own.

If I can only remember these truths and keep this focus, I anticipate my best year yet.  :)  I hope this encourages all of you other "fellow laborers" out there.  Just keep the main thing the main thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment